Friday, July 29, 2011

5 Minute Friday: Still

I have forgotten how to be still. In the daily hustle and bustle, I have forgetten to be still. I am unable to truly be still at home very often, desiring to go and be somewhere else if only to be able to be still... church, my MIL's, in the car, anywhere that they isn't 50 things that need to be done. Although I cross still and lazy in my head and for me there is a very fine line between the two. I am lazy by nature, but my house is usually such a wreck that there is always something to do, so laziness has been replaced by busyness and busyness makes my head spin.

I recently rediscovered my joy of reading, which brings me to stillness. I enjoy reading but am finding it hard to find books that I enjoy reading and that are honoring to the Lord. I frankly have a hard time getting into theological books. I want to read them, I want to read about the holiness of God or how to Mortify sin, but when I get down to it, I'm bored. I want to read stories, adventures, something that takes me away from the everyday. Maybe that is an idol in itself, taking me away.

My first attempt at 5 minute Friday.

Is that a bad thing, to want to escape the everyday, even just for a little bit. I know my joy and my comfort and my escape should be my Lord. Am I looking for worldy stillness? What does relaxation look like on a Christian? Do I get to relax or should I spend all free time, renewing my min (a good thing, a very good thing, but not always relaxing.)

2 comments:

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Welcome to Five Minute Fridays! Hope you keep coming back... each week presents a new blessing from bloggers like YOU!
May you find your moments of stillness in the rich treasure of Scripture and in communion with our Savior.

suzannah | the smitten word said...

oh, there's space for both: stillness and solitude as well as whatever delights your heart. shalom in the seeking.