Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weekend Update

Technically the weekend isn't really over, but today is a chill out and relax day as well as a chore day. We'll see which one of those I do more of.

Yesterday was full of fun! Part of that is sarcastic and part of that is true.

Me and the girl went on a search for the perfect pair of pants and a pair of shorts. By the end of the day I just settled for pants and forgot the perfect part. The first store we went to, I probably tried on 20-30 pairs of pants and shorts. No dice. I always have this problem buying pants. I have a fairly large bottom half (so nicely called a pear shape in the fashion world, pear, my ass.)and a fairly small waist so pants always gape in the back, that is if I can get them over my thighs and rear.

I always end up buying a shirt or two instead of pants when I go out searching for clothing to cover the bottom half, but I made myself a rule, I was not allowed to buy anything for up top until I found something to wear on the bottom. So we left the first store empty handed. I have a bad habit of settling for an item and then once I get it home I don't like it, but I never take it back. So I waste time and money and never wear the item. I am trying to be better at this, so if I don't really like what I am buying and feel I am just settling, I put it back on the rack.

My MIL came up yesterday to go to a concert, more on that later, so she watched The Girl in the afternoon and I got to go shopping ALONE! Yep, all by my lonesome. Two whole hours of freedom! Too bad I was trying on pants. I went to Academy first. When I got in my car, the temperature gage read 111 degrees F. Holy Cannoli! By the time I reached Academy it had started to rain, perhaps a premonition of what was in my pant trying on future. The temp. gage now read 90 degrees. It is barely raining as I walk into Academy. I browse and pick some stuff out. I always have to get 2-3 of the same thing in different sizes to figure out what size I am. This is because I shop so rarely for pants because it is such a traumatic experience. I tried on no less than 50 pairs of pants and shorts. All the while the rain is coming down hard and it sounds like a tornado outside. I am in the dressing room right under the skylights, praying that they don't break. Nothing. I walked out of the store into the pouring rain with nothing. There was one pair of shorts that was okay, and probably would have worked, but I didn't think I would really wear them. I decided once again, (I decide this every time I shop for shorts) that I just don't wear shorts anymore, I'm too big. But I am the kind of person that hates being hot and uncomfortable. The dilemna here!

Next I go to Target where I had better luck. I will spare you the details, but I did leave there with 3 pairs of pants and 2 shirts, all for less than $70. Man, I love Target. I have also discovered a secret to finding pants that actually fit me without gaping. You are going to laugh, but I don't care because sometimes I just want a pair of pants that fit. They don't have to be perfect, the just have to fit. The secret? Maternity. I'll wait while you scoff... I tried on a pair of maternity shorts. Not only were they really comfy, they fit all the way around my waist. I didn't end up buying them because I liked the other pants that I had picked out better, but I may go back and get them. I also tried on a pair of maternity capris that had they been the next size up I might have bought, but they were just snug enough.

It also doesn't help my pants buying process that I seem to be in between sizes. I am not a 12or a 14, but something in between. I realize that I just told the internets what size I wear, kind of, but oh well. I am what I am and you can't see me anyways!

*****************************

The second half of the day, we took The Girl to her first concert. My MIL, hubby, me and The Girl went to see Paul Simon. It was a good show. It was at an outdoor venue and we had lawn seating so it was a little wet, but we brought blankets and it was nice to sit outside and enjoy some live music. I grew up listening to live music and I love going to concerts. I used to go to a lot of concerts when my company got tickets to each show, but since we stopped doing that trade, I haven't been to a show since 3 Doors Down a couple years ago. Or maybe it was Aerosmith. Hubby isn't wild about concerts so we rarely go to them, but my MIL bought the tickets for us and it was a nice night out with the family.

The Girl wore an outfit that my MIL and Grandmother-in-law bought her. It is a little onsie dress that is pink and green tye die. She was so cute. I will post some pics soon.

That's it for the update. I'm off to plan the meals for the week and do my grocery list. Exciting stuff I tell you! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Oh, and if you know the secret to the perfect pair of pants, spill it!

No comments: