Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ranting and Raving

Hubby and I were watching TV last night and a preview for Super Nanny or whatever that show is came on and there is this three year old with a bat, screaming, "Get out of my way!" Where does a child get something like that? I would speculate a parent. I mean, "Move!" is the standard vocabulary of a 3 year old I would think. Now, I'm not an expert, nor do I have children, but I have worked with children a lot in my past. I can only imagine the mother or father screaming at each other, "Get out of my way!" Regardless, I do have a point, really I do.

Hubby and I then discussed how we grew up. I was taught to respect my elders. Not just my elders, but people in general. Have we as a society gotten so hardened that we no longer treat each other with respect? We really don't. These days it's all about me, me, me. I'm in a hurry, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now. Children in general no longer respect elders. Elders seems like such a fuddy duddy word, but the basis of respect your elders I feel is a really important thing that has been lost and I am saddened by that. I hope that when I have children, I will instill in them that those who have lived longer are wiser and should be respected. I hope to teach them by words and by actions in what I do and say on a daily basis. I try to treat people well, including strangers. If my children are being treated without respect by an elder, I hope that by my actions and response, my children will learn that regardless, ALL people should be treated with respect. END RANT.

On another note/rant, email etiquette. I understand that when emailing with friends we tend to be lax in our grammar and spell check and so forth, but in business, tell me is it really okay for a vendor to send an email that says, "OMG that is so cool!" Seriously! Grow up. I know we are in a different time and place and things are much more casual, but professional is still professional, learn to be it.

And lastly, ranting about those ribbons. I support our troops and I support breast cancer treatment and I can even understand having the ribbons. I really do like the small ones that people wear on their lapels, but the car ribbons are getting out of hand. I don't know why they bother me so much, but they do. This morning on my way to work there was a truck that had 8 of them. 8 all the way across the tailgate. Ridiculous I tell you.

No comments: