Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The most decent proposal

Since I am lacking in wonderfully profound things to say lately, I thought I would share the wonderful story of how my husband proposed. I am finally getting my wedding videos today and I can't wait to watch them! Yes, it is 9 months later.

The Proposal
March 28, 2004. I wake up excited. Today is the day that we are finally going to Austin to pick out my ring! I took the day off so I am going to go get my nails done and get my car inspected and I am supposed to pick up D. at the shop at 1:00. During my nail appointment D. calls and asks me to pick up some parts for him on my way out to the shop. Okay, no problem, anything for my sweetie who is taking me to get my ring. (See, in January D. told my Mom that we were getting married in November. I was like, "This November?", "Yes, this November.", "Okay, Where's my ring?!" Well I waited for this ring until March!) Moving on. The parts wouldn't be ready until 1:00 so I couldn't pick them up til 1:00 Okay, no problem. I go get my car inspected and then head out to the shop. I get out there a little early and have to wait for the parts. Parts in hand. Finally, to the ring!

I turn onto the main road to the shop and am going my usual speed of 50 (10 over the speed limit) when someone comes around the bend and flashes their lights at me. I slow down to 35. As I come around the next bend, there is a police car sitting on the right side of the road, facing me. I pass him going a nice speed of about 37. He turns around and immediately starts following me. I am like, What did I do? I was going the speed limit, I just got my car inspected, nothing should be wrong. The police car follows me for almost a minute and I am starting to get mad. Either pull me over or quit following me. Watch what you wish for. Right about that time he pulls me over. Okay, it's been about 4 years since I got pulled over. I hate getting pulled over, based on a horrible experience. (That's a whole other story.) So Mr. Policeman walks up to my window and says that a unit out on the main road spotted me going a little fast and asks if there is an emergency. I say no, and in my "ring funk" I don't really think about the fact that two separate units are tracking me. I hand him my license and registration and he goes back to his car to run my license. I sit there the whole time thinking, am I ever going to get my ring? After about a minute, Mr. Policeman gets out of his car and stops at the back of my car. He says, "Ma'am, I need you step out of the vehicle." OH.MY.GOD. WHY? So I get out, because I am a good little law abiding citizen. Okay so I speed. I walk to the back of my car and he begins to explain that the computer is saying I have a warrant for a speeding ticket in Fayett county from 1999. I freak out, because yes this ticket is real and yes I did at one time have a warrant because I didn't pay it on time, BUT, I paid that ticket. I try to explain this to him.

Me: "I swear I paid that ticket."
Mr. Policeman: "I understand that, but sometimes the computer doesn't clear warrants. I need you to sit in the back of the squad car while I verify payment."

I about fainted. Me, in the back of a police car? No way. I don't care, hand cuff me and put me on the ground where everyone can see me, but please don't put me in the back of the car. I start to cry. He says, "Don't cry. I am sure you paid it, I just need to verify it by making a few calls and I need you to sit in the car." He walks me around the side of the very heavily tinted window car and opens the back door. There sits my now hubby with a video camera. I turn around and cry harder. The first thing he says is, "Honey I love you, come here." He gets out of the car and hands the camera to Mr. Policeman. I hug him and hold him tight, just so happy that I don't have to get in the back of that car. He gets down on one knee and opens a box and says, "Honey, will you marry me?" Me, "Oh, Baby, Yes, Of course." He then stands up and I hug him and he says, "Baby, I need your hand." Oh, yeah! The Ring! He puts it on my hand and asks me if I like. Of course I like it. It is absolutely beautiful and he picked it out all by himself.

The best part of this whole thing, other than having the best husband in the world, is for our wedding present, he made the whole proposal video into a real life COPS episode, so we have this wonderful video to show our children and our grandchildren.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

No comments: