Friday, December 17, 2004

The Death of Civility

There is nothing on TV anymore really worth watching. We recently got some additional channels on our cable and now have 54 channels. I can flip through at any given time and there is never anything decent on. When did so called Music channels, quite playing music and start playing, well, crap? When did A&E start showing CSI: Miami and DOG?

I remember a time when watching television was somewhat safe. There were very few inferences to sex and no cuss words. I am amazed that they can say ass and bitch on TV, but not shit. Why? News isn't even appropriate for children. We are slowly being desensitized to sexual inferences and violence. Wednesday night I started to watch CSI: NY and had to turn it off. It was so graphic and sick, I couldn't watch it.

A friend of mine pretty much only lets her children watch videos and I can't say I blame her. What is on TV these days is smut. Slowly we as a people are accepting this new state of TV. Shows like desperate Housewives that are all about sex only desensitize us even more. Slowly we accept that this is the norm and then we love it. I'm not saying there shouldn't be these shows. So many people like them, but on prime time television. I know the world is changing and TV is a reflection of those changes. That is what scares me.

No comments: