Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I'm all about the spirit

Well, most of my titles this week have been spirity, which is ironic, because I am not feeling the spirit. Except of course a little bit here and there. I try every day to remind myself to be thankful for all that I have.

So, I am thankful for:
  • Family to spend the holidays with
  • My new digital camera that will be waiting for me when I get home! Yippee!
  • Cold weather for Christmas
  • Our new home
  • Ice skating with friends
  • The funds to take friends to lunch for their birthday's
  • Friends in general.

That last one really hits home. Last night as me and some friends sat around at our second home, my friend Toto (name changed to protect the not so innocent) said something like,

Her: "Don't you just look around sometimes and feel so proud of what you have?"

Me: "of course."

Her: "I mean of the friends you have and the conversations you have." (Remember beer was involved."

Me: "I spent to many years of my life without friends, that I thank God everyday for the friends I have now. I am so very lucky to be blessed with my friends."

This seems like such a horrible statement, but it is true. But it is twofold. The first part is that I didn't have a lot of friends growing up because we moved a lot. I was a book worm. I was shy and kept to myself. The second part was that when I did meet people and become friends, I had trouble trusting that they really liked me and so I was constantly trying too hard to make sure people liked me. This tends to push people away rather than pull them. I have learned to make friends, and keep friends and be a friend.

Sorry for the ramble, but it continues... yesterday in the middle of the work day, people from my office were summoned to our main lobby for a presentation. I had not heard about what was going on, but when I did hear, I had to see the look on her face when she received her presents. It seems that a lady here at work has had a hard year. I don't know all the details, but she was struggling to be able to buy presents for her daughter. Several people on property pitched in, and unbeknownst to her, bought her presents to give to her daughter and one for herself. The presents were wrapped, a letter from Santa was drafted and we dangled a carrot in front of her to get her to the lobby. She didn't quite understand what was going on and she tried to start distributing the presents to those of us standing in the lobby. Her daughter and I have the same name so I had to keep telling her that the presents weren't for me. Finally someone spoke up and explained and she started crying.

This was such a wonderful thing to be able to do for another person and it drilled in how absolutely blessed I am. Sometimes we get lost in the season and we forget what it is really about. So if you have the means, do something for someone that can't do for themselves this season. I know a lot of you already have. God bless and happy holidays.


No comments: