Monday, November 08, 2004

Girls, Girls, Girls

In yapping back and forth with Ms. JuJu, (go see her, wish her well) we were discussing girls and the delicacy of being around large groups of them. Plenty of girls love the company of other girls and have always been happy surrounded by babbling, screaming, loud girly girls. Not me.

I spent the majority of my childhood as a loner. We moved a lot, I never made friends or kept the few I made. I had my head buried in a book most of the time. The couple of long term friends I did have, well we rode bikes and climbed trees and jumped off houses. I was a tomboy of sorts. I was quiet child. I was shy and didn't usually speak unless spoken to. I never voiced an opinion if I had one (yeah, I know that has changed, shush). Perhaps all of that is the reason I have trouble with large groups of girls and sometimes, just one or two particularly bawdy ones.

My first year in college, I had gotten all of my paperwork for housing in late and therefore got stuck in temporary housing. "Temporary housing" was actually 4 bunkbeds crammed into a 3rd floor study room along with 4 dressers and some tables and chairs. I did this for about a month before I was assigned housing. My assignment, whether I chose to take it or not: one of the two all girls floors. Oh, hell no. I marched right into my RA:

Me: "I absolutely CANNOT LIVE HERE."
Her: "I completely understand."
Me: "You can't possibly understand. See, I do not get along with girls."
Her: "No. I really do understand, but there is nothing I can do."
Me: "No, I really do not get along with girls. At. All."
And on and on. There was nothing she could do. So I went to the housing board and tried to no avail to get my happy ass moved. Nothing doing. So I was stuck on an all girls floor, with boy "curfew" and rules and such.

Through out that first year, I became best friends with my RA, and found she did really understand. I also lucked out in getting the best roommate. She was a smarty pants, studied all the time, never went out, wore no make up, pretty much the polar opposite of me. But we got along great. She was a tomboy of sorts as well and pretty soon we corrupted her. I had girls night out with girls from the floor. Mel and I had lots of fun. Looking back, I am glad I lived on that floor. I learned how to get along with girls. I may not like all of them, but hey not all of them like me and that's okee dokee by me.

I recently got back in touch with a bunch of girl friends from high school. We have girls night about once a month and I am realizing how much I now treasure my girl friends. I can get along with girls now. As long as they aren't screaming OH. MY. GOD. at the top of their lungs or screaming for no reason. I love girls. Girls are good. Just don't yell in my ear.

No comments: